Goat Island Fog Bell
Eighty-eight shipmasters and mates from Cape Porpoise, Gloucester, and Boston petitioned the United States Government for a mechanical fog bell to be installed at the Goat Island Light Station. They also wanted a spindle at the sometimes-submerged rocky extremity of Goat Island and a tripod marking the other side of the entrance on Folly Island. The plan was approved in 1910.
An 1100 pound bell was manufactured by McNeely and Company of Troy, NY and installed on June 6, 1910 and a 35-foot wrought iron spindle was placed at the southwestern extremity of Goat Island. A few weeks later, the steam lighthouse tender Myrtle delivered the materials for a 60-foot wooden tripod, which was built on Folly Island. George W. Wakefield, Goat Island Lighthouse Keeper from 1887-1919, breathed easier.
The Coast Guard took over the Goat Island Light Station in 1942 and in 1960, installed an electronic foghorn making the beautiful solid brass bell and its tower superfluous. In a May 29, 1962, ceremony on Goat Island, the bell was presented to Kennebunkport Historical Society Chairperson, Mary Zecchini. The historical society displayed the bell on the lawn in front of its Town House School headquarters for almost 50 years. In 2011, the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust restored the historic Light Station and the Bell Tower on Goat Island. Mary Zecchini Bryant, still of the Kennebunkport Historical Society, was there to see the Goat Island Bell return to its rightful home in the harbor. We sure do miss dear Mary.









Leave a Reply