The Kennebunkport Methodist Parish needed a place to hold services in the river village of Kennebunkport. Oliver Bourne made his lot on Maine Street next to the Custom House available for this purpose. The modest one-story Methodist Chapel was dedicated in April of 1835.
In 1862, the one-story structure was raised up. The first floor became the second floor. Local businessman Samuel Gould gave a bell for the new belfry. Twenty years later, the belfry was replaced by a new sharp steeple, funded by Boston & Kennebunkport Seashore Company founding member, Enoch Cousens.
Parishioners moved to the Church on the Cape in 1940. During the next few years, the old church building provided winter activities for local children. Under the direction of Mildred Burrage and E. Scott Campbell, “The Meeting Place” served The Farm Bureau, the Health Council, the Red Cross, Hi Y and the Kennebunkport Bird Club. Before Kennebunkport Prelude became a thing, a fundraiser called The Christmas Market, was held there annually in the 1940s. Items such as jellies, fruitcakes, antiques, farm products and knitted mittens were sold in a festive atmosphere. Shackford & Gooch provided salt codfish.
The steeple on the old Methodist Church building was again condemned on November 19, 1946. The whole building had to be closed. The American Legion purchased the building and removed the offending steeple in February 1947. Mr. and Mrs. Arthur L. Leach of Storer St Kennebunk purchased the old Kennebunkport Methodist alter table, pulpit and pulpit chairs from the American Legion and presented them to the Kennebunk Methodist Church.
The Legion finally sold the building in 1960 to the owners of the Mill Floss house next-door. (Mast Cove Gallery) They had the building torn down to create Mast Cove Lane and its housing lots.
What do you remember about the old Methodist Church?